Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Timed Event Editor Framework

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Timed Event Editor Framework
From: Andreas Voss (andreas_AT_avix.rhein-neckar.de)
Date: pe syys   03 1999 - 21:22:10 EDT

> In the merged list, there is one definite, user and API controlled order
> of events. No two events are truly simultaneous, even if they have the
> same timestamp. This is advantageous for purposes like dropping markers
> (I'm a HUGE fan of using markers rather than selections for editing
> except when you need discontinous selection). It is perfectly valid to
> drop a marker between two events with the same timestamp. How do you
> handle this when you use separate lists for separate tracks?

Lets assume there are two events a and b with the same time stamp. If you
want to include a into your selection but not b, you can insert the marker
inbetween a and b. But if you want to include b but not a, you would have
to swap a and b first. Now, if there is an event c which is played a
little after a and b, there would be no chance to include for example a
and c, but not b into the selection.

I think selecting events by marker events is some mixture of selecting a
range of events related to timestamp and selecting a time-independent
set of events. Both should be possible, i would like to process bars 1 to
10 for example, and I would also like to process event a and c but not b
in the above example. In this case the user could select the desired
events by clicking on them.

Andreas