[linux-audio-dev] Re: markers for Div's sequencer

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Re: markers for Div's sequencer
From: David Slomin (dgslomin_AT_CS.Princeton.EDU)
Date: la syys   04 1999 - 19:32:53 EDT

On Sat, 4 Sep 1999 est_AT_hyperreal.org wrote:

> David Slomin discourseth:
> >
> > I'm pretty sure that SMF only defines one type
> > of marker, and I don't remember whether or not it has a track number
> > associated with it.
>
> It doesn't..but it's arbitrary text, so you could encode something.
> However, they `normally' appear in only one track..so maybe that's an
> point for the single event list? OTOH, a `sequencer-specific
> meta-event' might be more appropriate for your markers.

That makes sense... the SMF marker event is intended to be used for
rehearsal numbers and such, so it would probably be an abuse to coerce it
into use as a bookmark. Actually, as a SysEx, I guess I can create
whatever I want, right? I suppose I should apply to the MMA for a vendor
ID <shudder>.

> In any case, I sure hope you're able to get to coding soon. We need
> sequencers! :)

Well, it's a long weekend; I'll see if I can get a rudimentary event list
viewer (display only, no editing or file I/O) tonight. It would be more
useful to do the SMF I/O first, but I'd like to be able to see what I'm
doing (all backend and no GUI makes Jack a dull boy). Optimally I'd hope
to get SMF I/O done by the end of the weekend, but no promises... there's
a party on Monday...

Cheers,
Div.