[linux-audio-dev] real-time scheme implementation

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] real-time scheme implementation
From: est_AT_hyperreal.org
Date: ti syys   07 1999 - 19:14:12 EDT

David Slomin discourseth:
> On Tue, 7 Sep 1999 est_AT_hyperreal.org wrote:
>
> > BTW, I'm working on a real-time implementation of Scheme. It will
> > allow a lot of the easy extensibility Python provides along with the
> > speed of more of a `systems language'. Python will still have a place
> > for me though..it really has its own linguistic niche.
>
> Now _that_ is very intriguing, and not just from an audio standpoint.
> What makes a language (not an OS) inherently realtime oriented?

In this case I'm talking about hard real-time garbage collection with
safe-for-space guarantees and a run-time system that won't unduly
block threads from running (say in the middle of a bignum multiply).

> personally rather like the idea of working in Scheme for practical,
> everyday purposes.

Ahh..that's nice to hear. Sequencing is a lot of my motivation, btw,
considering how it consists of patterns and transformations
thereof. :)

I hope to bootstrap my compiler/run-time this year. Even if I don't
make it, I'll put up a website with current progress by year-end.

Eric