[linux-audio-dev] sysex -> csound score event

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] sysex -> csound score event
From: est_AT_hyperreal.org
Date: ti syys   07 1999 - 18:40:47 EDT

David Slomin discourseth:

> Intriguing. It brings to mind something I was thinking of playing with
> once my sequencer got to a useable state:
>
> We all know that Csound can take input over MIDI in realtime. We also
> know that when it does so, it loses all the power of its arbitrary-number-
> and-meaning-of-parameters-per-event design. Would it be possible to write
> a patch to Csound so that it _would_ accept full score-file-style events
> wrapped as MIDI sysex events in realtime?

Sure, just use a transducer ahead of csound in the pipe that unwraps
the score events from the sysex's. This makes it generic to any
program that accepts extended textual events.

> P.S. Anybody want to propose a sysex message format for a Csound event?

Well, there are some ways it might perhaps be made easier to use. For
example, you might have a sysex that specified a translation scheme
for note events..basically a string with escapes for key and velocity
in it. The transducer could then apply that scheme to subsequent note
events. I think we'll discover plenty of such tricks just playing
around with such a system.

Eric