[linux-audio-dev] Python and Scheme's linguistic niches

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Python and Scheme's linguistic niches
From: est_AT_hyperreal.org
Date: ke syys   08 1999 - 18:44:13 EDT

Paul Winkler discourseth:
> est_AT_hyperreal.org wrote:
> > BTW, I'm working on a real-time implementation of Scheme. It will
> > allow a lot of the easy extensibility Python provides along with the
> > speed of more of a `systems language'.
>
> Cool idea. That might get me to finally get my lisp feet wet (so far all
> I do is wrangle my .emacs file into something that sort of does what I
> want even if I don't understand it.)
> I hesitate to ask how you will accomplish the speed. (probably way over
> my head!)

Well, the crucial fact is pretty simple. Python is way more
polymorphic than Scheme. (string-ref s i) means one thing..something
that can sometimes even translate to a single machine instruction if
you don't care about safety. s[i] in Python means one thing too, but
it's `see if s has a getitem method and, if so, invoke it on s and i'.

Eric