Re: [linux-audio-dev] A Python loop sequencer, was re: using csound as a sampling engine

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] A Python loop sequencer, was re: using csound as a sampling engine
From: David Slomin (dgslomin_AT_CS.Princeton.EDU)
Date: ke syys   08 1999 - 15:33:13 EDT

On Wed, 8 Sep 1999, Benno Senoner wrote:

> I think sooner or later we should all join our efforts and contribute
> to the Audiality project (with first versions running in userspace on
> ordinary Linux kernel , then on RT-Linux with sub 1msec lanecies).

Don't forget that there's never such a thing as "one size fits all",
only "one size fits most" at best.

I don't see myself as ever running Audiality (much less writing code that
relies on it) because I do not like the idea of having to run RT-Linux.
I'm a hobbiest musician, not a professional, so I'm not willing to
dedicate a machine to the job; I only run general purpose OS's. This
doesn't mean I think there's no place for Audiality, but I don't think
it's realistic to expect _all_ the Linux audio developers to target that
single niche.

Besides, I don't think I've ever even written a program "for Linux". I
write for Posix or for the JVM and test/use it on Linux. Here's a new
poll for the day: How many of you developers on the LAD list only target
Linux?

Just a cent or two,
Div.