[linux-audio-dev] python & generic audio engines

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] python & generic audio engines
From: est_AT_hyperreal.org
Date: ke syys   08 1999 - 18:09:10 EDT

Benno Senoner discourseth:

> I'm not very confident that Python will be suitable for RT apps,
> especially music that require precisions in the 1-5ms range for
> stable timing + low-latency.

It really all depends. Python has limits, but I haven't encountered
any that are counterintuitive. The more Python operations you perform
the more cycles you burn at that furious rate.

> I think sooner or later we should all join our efforts and contribute
> to the Audiality project (with first versions running in userspace on
> ordinary Linux kernel , then on RT-Linux with sub 1msec lanecies).
>
> Audiality will be designed with realtime, flexibility, efficiency and
> scalabitily in mind.

David's interest in public discussion re module APIs bodes well for
this. :)

> In future, designing an audio app will be more a GUI programming task
> than re-implementing audio-engines evertime from scratch.
>
> For example oolabola could be almost a GUI app which calls
> audiality modules and connect them together.

This has always been my ideal, though not in any audiality-specific way.

The current oolaboola is a hack to get something that works reliably,
portably, efficiently..and now. In fact, it was a conscious, atypical
and long-considered decision to embark on such a short-term
project. :)

Eric