[linux-audio-dev] Latency

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Latency
From: Erik de Castro Lopo (erikd_AT_zip.com.au)
Date: ti syys   14 1999 - 08:17:38 EDT

Hi all,

I'm a little concerned about this term latency. To me latency
is a property of a one-shot process. An example would be interrupt
latency.

What we're talking about is getting an input, processing it
and generating an output. We are then trying to minimise the
delay between when the input arrives and the output for said
input is generated.

Wouldn't this be more accurately be described as a "transport
delay" in line with the terminology of Control Theory? In the
terminology of DSP this would be called a linear phase shift
but thats probably not very clear :-).

Cheers,
Erik

     Erik de Castro Lopo     erikd_AT_zip.com.au
The National Multiple Sclerosis Society of America recently started an
advertising campaign with the slogan "MS: It's not a software company".

Seasoned IT professionals will have no trouble telling the two MS's apart. One is a debilitating and surprisingly widespread affliction that renders the sufferer barely able to perform the simplest task. The other is a disease.