[alsa-devel] Re: [linux-audio-dev] Latency [OT]

Subject: [alsa-devel] Re: [linux-audio-dev] Latency [OT]
From: Benjamin GOLINVAUX (golinvaux_AT_benjamin.net)
Date: ti syys   14 1999 - 09:06:36 EDT

>I'm a little concerned about this term latency. To me latency
>is a property of a one-shot process. An example would be interrupt
>latency.
[...]
> Wouldn't this be more accurately be described as a "transport
> delay" in line with the terminology of Control Theory? In the
> terminology of DSP this would be called a linear phase shift
> but thats probably not very clear :-).

I'd prefer 'input to output latency' since 'latency' is such a widely
accepted term.

However, there is a _lot_ of confusion...

Benno's latency program clearly deals with a one-shot latency from process
to audio out.
[oops... I'm not on alsa-devel here... Different lists, same people...]

Could we safely assume that the iolatency is two times the one shot latency
with two threads, one for audio in and one for audio out ? Any sync issues ?

BTW, I'M POSTING THIS TO ALSA-DEVEL just to make sure latency-aware people
read the post...

How many of you are NOT subscribed to linux-audio-dev ????

------
To unsubscribe from <alsa-devel_AT_alsa-project.org> mailing list send message
'unsubscribe' in the body of message to <alsa-devel-request_AT_alsa-project.org>.
BUG/SMALL PATCH REPORTING SYSTEM: http://www.alsa-project.org/cgi-bin/bugs