[linux-audio-dev] digital audio app...

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] digital audio app...
From: Jair-Rohm (gtc_AT_mbox200.swipnet.se)
Date: la syys   18 1999 - 11:30:35 EDT

High;

I'm trying to write an application that will be able to process digital audio in real time. I'm kind of new to Java programming so i'm struggling every step of the way. I would really like to do this application in Java rather than C/C++ because (after doing a comparison of the three languages) i believe Java has tremendous advantages over most modern programming languages.

Now to the point of this posting...

I started this project as an application. I am beginning to wonder if it is possible (using the .sun classes) to perform manipulations on an audio file such as play it backwards. As far as i can ascertain, i would have to convert the sound (AudioDataStream) to a ByteArrayInputStream in order to have the sound available as an array of bytes that i may later have my way with. Unfortunately, i've not been able to mange this conversion. Is it possible that this type of manipulation is only possible from within an Applet? I'm developing in Blackdown 1.1.7 using GNU Emacs with the JDE.

Any insights, suggestions and/or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks;

Jair-Rohm