Re: [linux-audio-dev] some basic questions

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] some basic questions
From: Reiner Klenk (klenk_AT_hmi.de)
Date: pe syys   24 1999 - 04:22:39 EDT

On Fri, 24 Sep 1999, Dan Horwood wrote:

> I was hoping someone could let me know which distribution I should
> install so that I can run jMax (I've used Max extensively at uni, and am
> excited about using it at home!). Also, is the java VM built into the
> distribution, or do I have to download it separately - I've heard that
> the IBM vm is really good.
I'm in the process of installing it on a RedHat6.0 system. I had to
download a lot of extra stuff such as the pgcc (pentium gcc) and the java
developers kit (jdk) from blackdown.org and the jfc (swing) from sun.com.
I don't think the distribution will make a big difference but if you stick
with the big players (RedHat, Suse, Debian) you will have less problems
finding software in the correct package format.
I have everything compiled now, the java GUI seems to work, but audio
doesn't work as advertised. On the other hand, I've never used max before
so I'm still struggling with the concept as such. If you run into
installation problems send me a mail, may be I can help.
Regards,
Reiner