Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [l Re: Plug-in API progress?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [l Re: Plug-in API progress?
From: David Olofson (audiality_AT_swipnet.se)
Date: la syys   25 1999 - 10:16:58 EDT

On Sat, 25 Sep 1999, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
[...]
> typically, parameter updates occur because of the GUI requesting
> them. therefore, under most circumstances, the GUI does not want to be
> notified of a parameter update event - it was the sender! however, if
> the parameter update was caused by something else, the GUI *does* need
> to be notified.
>
> how to distinguish cheaply and easily between these two cases ?
>
> in quasimodo, it happens when you are loading a preset, for
> example. the GUI requests the preset, but it doesn't do the actual
> processing (which may or may not be all in the same thread as the
> GUI). first, we load the plugin(s), and then we set the parameters,
> and then we then make the patches between them (i.e. run-time edit the
> DSP programs for the plugins). when the parameters get set, the GUI
> should reflect the new values. they don't. how to avoid a redundant
> loop in the common case is not obvious to me right now.

If it's all done through a central automation system, there doesn't need to be
any *extra* cost, but then the automation system and/or the GUI will probably
have to pay for that in the common case... OTOH, you get rid of all GUI related
overhead when the user closes the GUI of a plug-in. (Screen space is limited
anyway...)

//David

 ·A·U·D·I·A·L·I·T·Y· P r o f e s s i o n a l L i n u x A u d i o
    ·Rock Solid David Olofson:
    ·Low Latency www.angelfire.com/or/audiality ·Audio Hacker
    ·Plug-Ins audiality_AT_swipnet.se ·Linux Advocate
    ·Open Source ·Singer/Composer