Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Plug-in API progress?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Plug-in API progress?
From: David Olofson (audiality_AT_swipnet.se)
Date: la syys   25 1999 - 09:58:16 EDT

On Sat, 25 Sep 1999, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:

> >> David, we're clearly not on the same planet :)
> >
> >Are you kidding? :-)
>
> Well, only partly. putting them in different address spaces prohibits
> the scheme for parameter updates that i've described, and i think that
> doing so would be bad.

Yes, that's pretty obvious, of course. And I will partly contradict myself by
saying that it's still ok to use shared memory for the event buffers. The
important point is to keep a crashing GUI from taking the engine with it, which
is at least a little easier to do if they're running as different processes,
sharing as little as possible without wasting performance completely. (That is,
I'm not going to have an event syntax/structure checker or something in
between...)

> >Yes, of course... :-) I'm actually planning to build something like that, but
> >I'm a bit worried about cooling of fast SMP machines. Sound traps and a big,
> >low RPM fan inside the box should do, I think...
>
> the ISO-BOX fan completely refreshes the box every 20 seconds.

Should do the trick, I guess. :-)

[...]
> right, mixdown is not the same as recording. and to clarify, when i
> quoted "we don't do that", i meant "we don't record 64 tracks at a
> time".

Ok, but what about insert effects (as opposed to master effects) when mixing
down? I was suggesting that there's a point in supporting processing nets where
most signal flows start as hard disk tracks, pass through some insert effects,
and are then mixed in a lower latency net where the master effect plug-ins are
running, and inter-track dependencies are allowed. (If the later kind of tricks
is done acrosss tracks on different nodes in the cluster, the engine should
reorganized the net to fix that - high latency nodes should only sync with the
master low latency node as far as possible.)

//David

 ·A·U·D·I·A·L·I·T·Y· P r o f e s s i o n a l L i n u x A u d i o
    ·Rock Solid David Olofson:
    ·Low Latency www.angelfire.com/or/audiality ·Audio Hacker
    ·Plug-Ins audiality_AT_swipnet.se ·Linux Advocate
    ·Open Source ·Singer/Compose