Re: [linux-audio-dev] AES report

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] AES report
From: David Olofson (audiality_AT_swipnet.se)
Date: su syys   26 1999 - 11:24:06 EDT

On Sun, 26 Sep 1999, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
> Well, AES this year seems full of new dedicated HDR's. Mackie's was
> the best one I saw, but many other companies were making them.

No wonder, the way Windoze "works" for HDR...

> It became clear to me wandering around the vast hall of gadgets,
> blinking lights and men (for it was almost entirely populated with
> men) who haven't quite outgrown their passion for toys with buttons
> and dials that as fantastic as it is to be able to use a computer to
> do all the audio stuff you could imagine, it seemed really worthwhile
> being able to put your hands on a physical interface that included the
> *right* physical elements to control a device.

<opinion subject="User interfaces">
Probably the biggest problem with DAWs, now that we have a solid foundation to
build them on. Cakewalk is getting on my nerves with these
<ALT>/<CRTL>-<whatever> based shourtcuts... (Can be reconfigured, but that
doesn't help much.) I've had in mind building a custom controller to send
keyboard events, but as Cakewalk now has a new feature - the ability to focus
bogus controls in it's own screen - that wouldn't work. :-/

Buttons and dials vs. GUIs is like keyboard shortcuts vs. drop-down menues.
That is, unless frequently used functions map directly to the keys on the
standard keyboard (no qualifier crap), custom hardware is needed.
</opinion>

[...Cakewalk, Lexicon...]
Seems like there's really a need to get accross with information - not only on
the latest multimedia performance achievements, but actually on the fact that
Linux exists, what it is, and what it's all about...

> ps. best inquiry of the day, to me, repeated several times after
> people looked at my badge: "Oh, you work for Linux ?" :)

Well, don't we all? :-)

//David

 ·A·U·D·I·A·L·I·T·Y· P r o f e s s i o n a l L i n u x A u d i o
    ·Rock Solid David Olofson:
    ·Low Latency www.angelfire.com/or/audiality ·Audio Hacker
    ·Plug-Ins audiality_AT_swipnet.se ·Linux Advocate
    ·Open Source ·Singer/Composer