Re: [linux-audio-dev] AES report

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] AES report
From: David Slomin (dgslomin_AT_CS.Princeton.EDU)
Date: su syys   26 1999 - 21:30:45 EDT

On Sun, 26 Sep 1999, David Olofson wrote:

> Buttons and dials vs. GUIs is like keyboard shortcuts vs. drop-down menues.
> That is, unless frequently used functions map directly to the keys on the
> standard keyboard (no qualifier crap), custom hardware is needed.

Agreed, but you don't really need 200 physical dials to control 200
different parameters (I certainly don't have enough fingers and toes to
control them all at once even if I could visualize it). You can write a
small program that remaps the few physical knobs on your synth keyboard to
arbitrary controllers.

There's no reason that you couldn't remap program (patch) change events
into "remap mod wheel to continuous controller foo" events. Then you're
only using two physical controls, but have access to 128 virtual ones,
with nary a GUI in sight.

With your concentration on realtime precision, you were probably too
disgusted with my "good-enough" attitude on latency to try my MIDI toys
when I posted them a while back, but a few of them do exactly what I'm
describing, if you're interested.

Div.