[linux-audio-dev] Re: your mail

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Re: your mail
From: David Slomin (dgslomin_AT_CS.Princeton.EDU)
Date: su syys   26 1999 - 21:55:41 EDT

On Sun, 26 Sep 1999, rob wrote:

> anyone interested in getting together a set of semi-std gtk
> widgets for music apps like say...a waveform editor, track display, staff
> display/editor, piano roll display and the like. it would seem that some
> nice reusable componenets would make putting together apps a bit easier.

Neat idea, but does it actually make sense? The main differentiation
point between various music applications these days is the respective
quality of just these types of widgets.

Why do I use Cakewalk instead of Cubase? Because I like its piano roll
widget better. But I don't like it enough, which is one of the primary
reasons I'm writing my own sequencer. Why does Finale cost more than
Encore? Because its staff widget is fuller-featured. I'm sure the same
can be said of the other widgets you're describing.

If your common widgets were exceptionally well designed so that the
API user could add custom behaviours at nearly every stage of the widget
instance's life (like the Tk canvas, for instance), then they might be
usable, but it is very hard to design things in such a customizable
manner.

Sorry to be so negative about this though; I really do like the idea.
Div.