Re: [linux-audio-dev] AES report

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] AES report
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: su syys   26 1999 - 23:09:34 EDT

>> Buttons and dials vs. GUIs is like keyboard shortcuts vs. drop-down menues.
>> That is, unless frequently used functions map directly to the keys on the
>> standard keyboard (no qualifier crap), custom hardware is needed.
>
>Agreed, but you don't really need 200 physical dials to control 200
>different parameters (I certainly don't have enough fingers and toes to
>control them all at once even if I could visualize it). You can write a
>small program that remaps the few physical knobs on your synth keyboard to
>arbitrary controllers.
>
>There's no reason that you couldn't remap program (patch) change events
>into "remap mod wheel to continuous controller foo" events. Then you're
>only using two physical controls, but have access to 128 virtual ones,
>with nary a GUI in sight.

Although I personally agree, I would say from watching people's
response to "proper" physical interface design at AES that people who
work with this stuff all day don't like that kind of approach.

The new Mackie HDR is a case in point. From what I could tell, its
nothing much more than a EIDE drive coupled to a very minimal OS (it
might even run DOS internally for all I know or care), and some
appropriate data interfaces. As a computer geek, I'm standing there
looking at it saying "yeah, so what ?" But the crowd was wildly
enthusiastic. Similarly with related products from OMD and
others. Mackie added an on-off button for each track, a play/record
button for each track, regular tape/CD transport controls, and they're
golden.

The "virtual" device interface, wherein a single set of controls can
be remapped to many different copies of the same device was very
popular a few years back. It makes sense for things like mixing
consoles, where there is massive duplication of hardware without
it. But only to a point. I've heard studio engineers complain that
even living with 16 strips on a 24 track console can be annoying.

Yeah, it saves money, and it works. But its not the best solution. I
say that with a heavy heart, since I'm about to buy a Mackie HUI for
exactly this kind of thing.

--p