Re: [linux-audio-dev] AES report

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] AES report
From: David Olofson (audiality_AT_swipnet.se)
Date: ma syys   27 1999 - 16:53:21 EDT

On Mon, 27 Sep 1999, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
[...]
> >There's no reason that you couldn't remap program (patch) change events
> >into "remap mod wheel to continuous controller foo" events. Then you're
> >only using two physical controls, but have access to 128 virtual ones,
> >with nary a GUI in sight.
>
> Although I personally agree, I would say from watching people's
> response to "proper" physical interface design at AES that people who
> work with this stuff all day don't like that kind of approach.

I hardly work all day with music, but I can certainly see why mapping physical
controllers around isn't popular. I just *hate* that extra level of complexity
in the UI, and the extra steps to reach the function you want to tweak is very
annoying in the long run. It's ok for playing a little with a machine, but even
programming a synth using 4 dials and a set of buttons becomes irritating after
a while. Not to mention the JV-1080 with ONE wheel... (I like the
push-for-high-speed function of that wheel, though.) When I know all the
parameters of a machine, I want to be able to just change the one I want
directly, without having to locate it in some menu or something first.

But that's me... I don't like tweaking - I want the sound I hear in my mind -
before I forget it.

//David

 ·A·U·D·I·A·L·I·T·Y· P r o f e s s i o n a l L i n u x A u d i o
    ·Rock Solid David Olofson:
    ·Low Latency www.angelfire.com/or/audiality ·Audio Hacker
    ·Plug-Ins audiality_AT_swipnet.se ·Linux Advocate
    ·Open Source ·Singer/Composer