Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: music widgets

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: music widgets
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: ma syys   27 1999 - 17:30:08 EDT

I think that the usefulness depends on what you want to do.

First of all, I am strongly for the separation of UI and actual
functionality. But I work in C++, which makes it pretty trivial to do
this. In C, its not quite so straightforward, and often involves some
ugly looking syntax.

Even so, I would strongly suggest that anyone thinking about this pays
more attention to the functional hooks you want dangling from the
widgets than their visual appearance. That enables different visual
incarnations of the same functional widget to be created. That is:
define the functionality presented by the widget's API, and then allow
creativity to roam freely on the visual appearance.

I would be very happy if some of these things came to be - I need some
self-contained widgets for extending Quasimodo's visual elements. a
GTK widget for waveform editing would be awesome, even if it couldn't
do everything that ProTools can :)

But OTOH, there I am, looking through Dave Philip's Audio+MIDI
page(s), noting things like Audiotechque and others that were all
"design" driven. Code first, redesign later ...

--p