Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: music widgets

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: music widgets
From: David Slomin (dgslomin_AT_CS.Princeton.EDU)
Date: ti syys   28 1999 - 01:11:43 EDT

On Mon, 27 Sep 1999, rob wrote:

> assuming that everyone has the libs available for linking, QT in GTK
> (or vice-versa) wouldn't be a big problem, although it would look wierd.
> the only thing necessary would be some common data conventions, and
> dynamic lib hooks.

I wonder if this has ever been done. I agree it would look very weird
unless you "themed" things very carefully, but I'm more curious about the
technical feasibility. Every widget set I've ever looked at (with the
possible exception of the interchangable Athena widget implementations)
uses a unique underlying programming model. In order to do a Windows port
of NetMIDI, I just this weekend learned the native Windows GUI programming
model ("platform SDK" style), which uses rather different event
dispatching and layout models than, say, Java's AWT/Swing. I can say from
personal experience that Tk, Wx, GTK, Qt, and even VB have their own
variations. I'd be truly intrigued to find that arbitrary combinations
(for those toolkits available on the same windowing system) were
intermixable.

> there are lots of problems you could come up with, but
> in general, i think such a thing would be nice to have even without a 100%
> solution to all problems. again, cut and paste reuse will allow people to
> cross these gaps when they like.

I personally don't work well with cut and paste reuse. I'm happy to make
use of a decently documented API, but I hate having to edit somebody
else's code; I usually end up trying to rewrite it before I can feel that
I properly grok it. (Yes, editing existing code is an important part of
my day job, and I anticipate that I'll get better at it as time goes by.)
Hopefully, not everybody shares my problem...

Oh well,
Div.