Re: [linux-audio-dev] AES report

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] AES report
From: David Olofson (audiality_AT_swipnet.se)
Date: ma syys   27 1999 - 16:29:09 EDT

On Mon, 27 Sep 1999, David Slomin wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Sep 1999, David Olofson wrote:
>
> > Buttons and dials vs. GUIs is like keyboard shortcuts vs. drop-down menues.
> > That is, unless frequently used functions map directly to the keys on the
> > standard keyboard (no qualifier crap), custom hardware is needed.
>
> Agreed, but you don't really need 200 physical dials to control 200
> different parameters (I certainly don't have enough fingers and toes to
> control them all at once even if I could visualize it). You can write a
> small program that remaps the few physical knobs on your synth keyboard to
> arbitrary controllers.

That's not really what I had in mind... What I meant is very carefully designed
physical user interfaces, like a jog wheel with the transport buttons located
just where you want them - not a matrix of generic controller knobs.

> There's no reason that you couldn't remap program (patch) change events
> into "remap mod wheel to continuous controller foo" events. Then you're
> only using two physical controls, but have access to 128 virtual ones,
> with nary a GUI in sight.

Indeed, and that's kind of how I use the MIDI keyboard controller. The
computer decides where to send the events. Only a different kind of input
device.

> With your concentration on realtime precision, you were probably too
> disgusted with my "good-enough" attitude on latency to try my MIDI toys
> when I posted them a while back, but a few of them do exactly what I'm
> describing, if you're interested.

There's a huge difference between audio and MIDI... And there's a lot of
interesting software I'd like to play with, but I got to work, and I'm trying
to get some useful contribution to the plug-in API together. I'm also trying to
hack a Driver Programming Interface for Linux/RTLinux, and I'm about to write
an article on the Audiality concept... And the Audiality site needs to be
rebuilt. Sorry if I don't seem to pay attention at times...

//David

 ·A·U·D·I·A·L·I·T·Y· P r o f e s s i o n a l L i n u x A u d i o
    ·Rock Solid David Olofson:
    ·Low Latency www.angelfire.com/or/audiality ·Audio Hacker
    ·Plug-Ins audiality_AT_swipnet.se ·Linux Advocate
    ·Open Source ·Singer/Composer