Re: [linux-audio-dev] [Fwd: AES, Linux and BeOS]

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] [Fwd: AES, Linux and BeOS]
From: Benjamin GOLINVAUX (golinvaux_AT_benjamin.net)
Date: su syys   26 1999 - 17:38:34 EDT

> So, in summary, I think its fine for Steinberg, or anyone else, to
> port stuff to BeOS. But by *focusing* on BeOS, they may miss the boat,
> or alternatively, a boat that could be built easily never will be.

ok Paul, let's make things clear about this discussion :

I minsunderstood your statements about BeOS and thought you were dismissing
it
for (nowadays) multimedia (which roughly summarizes, for me, to low
interrupt latency, drivers and stability)

I totally agree with you when it comes to extending multimedia to big
databases and heavy network stuff.

I selfishly did not take _at all_ into account these advantages of linux,
because I don't need them.... I should say I never thought about it.

But I keep on saying that some people will love a clean, small and fast OS
that'll let them use _some kind_ of multimedia/audio applications.

But if the way to go for big packages (audio/video/midi such as Nuendo or
Logic Audio) is the net and remote databases, then BeOS won't be able to
reinvent the wheel in just a few years and won't catch this train... It
would be useless.

Until then, I can clearly see _some_ advantages by using BeOS for _some_
people.

Benjamin-