Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Plug-in API progress?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Plug-in API progress?
From: David Olofson (audiality_AT_swipnet.se)
Date: ti syys   28 1999 - 15:38:34 EDT

On Tue, 28 Sep 1999, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
[...]
> Unfortunately, I see no way to use an event system and stick to my
> original design goal of code compatibility with Csound. Csound has
> already provided more than 400 opcodes to Quasimodo, with another
> hundred or so left to go. Were I to get enough volunteer activity to
> rewrite most of the Csound opcodes to work with an event system, I
> think it would be fairly easy to switch to using it (I have already
> done some other, more sweeping changes than this, and they went in
> very simply). But that seems unlikely. The legacy of its opcodes is
> just too good to walk away from - tens of thousands of lines of useful
> code, just waiting to be used.

Well, even if you'll have some problems with sample accuracy/resolution, you
have lots of cool, working code that can do what it was designed for pretty
well. While I don't even have a complete API spec yet...

> So for now, I will stick to Quasimodo's current timestamp free,
> asynchronous parameter update model. But adding an event buffer to
> each closure would be simple, and so if anyone wants to start
> rewriting the opcodes to use it, just let me know :)

Hmm... Events would map to the parameters of the opcodes. And the event parsing
code inlined in the outer loops should access the parameter variables instead
of the UI code doing it directly... Some copy-paste into an "opcode ->
Audiality" (or whatever) conversion skeleton or something, perhaps. Some parts
of the work could probably be rationalised a bit (macros, template plug-in
sources adapted to the opcode interface...), but it probably can't be done
automatically if we want efficient plug-ins.

Of course, it would probably be quite easy to run one or more opcodes inside a
plug-in, with the current direct access scheme, but that would break the
design rules and eliminate most of the advantages of both systems at once...
Sounds like a very temporary solution to me, and not at all in the Open Source
spirit. (Well, perhaps you've heard of Amulet and other cross-plug-in-API
adaptors for the proprietary systems... Emergency solution hacks IMO.)

//David

 ·A·U·D·I·A·L·I·T·Y· P r o f e s s i o n a l L i n u x A u d i o
    ·Rock Solid David Olofson:
    ·Low Latency www.angelfire.com/or/audiality ·Audio Hacker
    ·Plug-Ins audiality_AT_swipnet.se ·Linux Advocate
    ·Open Source ·Singer/Compose