Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Plug-in API progress?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Plug-in API progress?
From: David Olofson (audiality_AT_swipnet.se)
Date: ti syys   28 1999 - 16:33:28 EDT

On Tue, 28 Sep 1999, Juhana Sadeharju wrote:
> >From: David Olofson <audiality_AT_swipnet.se>
> >>
> >> my pro studio friends tell me that they *rarely* (if ever) record more
> >> than 16 tracks at once. keep this in mind. playback of, say 64 tracks,
> >
> >in? Anyway, personally, I rarely record more than 4 tracks at a time (partly
>
> One application for really needed multitrack recording could be a recording
> of a concert or a play. I guess 16 tracks is then quite minimum number
> of channels.

Indeed. And that's also an application where you *really* need high
reliability.

And while we're back to this subject again; My experience is that recording is
*not* more expensive than playback. Not even with Windoze is there a noticable
difference. (Actually, for some reason, Windoze often get twice the read
transfer rate when writing!) The cost of allocating new sectors is only
significant in crappy filesystems, and other than that, there's not much
difference.

//David

 ·A·U·D·I·A·L·I·T·Y· P r o f e s s i o n a l L i n u x A u d i o
    ·Rock Solid David Olofson:
    ·Low Latency www.angelfire.com/or/audiality ·Audio Hacker
    ·Plug-Ins audiality_AT_swipnet.se ·Linux Advocate
    ·Open Source ·Singer/Composer