Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [l Re: Plug-in API progress?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [l Re: Plug-in API progress?
From: David Olofson (audiality_AT_swipnet.se)
Date: ti syys   28 1999 - 16:27:37 EDT

On Tue, 28 Sep 1999, P.J.Leonard wrote:
[...]
> There are 3 options here.
>
> 1. server sends events to notify GUI of changes.
> 2. GUI asks the server it's current state.
> 3. Mixture of 1 and 2
>
> (1) Is conceptually more attractive but you run the risk of clogging
> the system up
> with event messages if you have fine grain controllers changing fast.
> Here I speak from
> my own experience (I have Qt widgets for adjusting midi parameters I
> also map midi controllers
> onto parameters and monitor the state with the sliders). The pitch
> change wheel generates
> quiet a lot of events !!!)
>
> (2) requires the GUI to poll the server on a timer which is a bit ugly
> but reduces the
> time spent doing X11 stuff. I update widgets every 1/10 of a second. You
> can change
> the pitch wheel from min to max in this time.
>

> I think any system should allow both schemes (1) and (2).

...or you could have the engine keep track of time (which it is doing with very
fine accuracy all the time anyway), and start to thin the event stream to the
GUI elements. GUI elements could tell the engine how high event frequencies
they want to handle. Could easily be done per GUI element if desired.

//David

 ·A·U·D·I·A·L·I·T·Y· P r o f e s s i o n a l L i n u x A u d i o
    ·Rock Solid David Olofson:
    ·Low Latency www.angelfire.com/or/audiality ·Audio Hacker
    ·Plug-Ins audiality_AT_swipnet.se ·Linux Advocate
    ·Open Source ·Singer/Composer