[linux-audio-dev] Fwd: [rtl] Beowulf and RTLinux (and NIC latency)

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Fwd: [rtl] Beowulf and RTLinux (and NIC latency)
From: David Olofson (audiality_AT_swipnet.se)
Date: ti syys   28 1999 - 18:57:27 EDT

For those interested in real time processing using Beowulf clusters and similar
solutions; here's a post from the RTLinux list...

The point: I certainly don't see a significant hardware problem with real time
audio processing on clusters.

An engine that keeps track of inter-plug-in dependencies shouldn't have much
trouble making use of a Beowulf. There would be very few points in the net
where the network transfer latency come in, so the sub nets on the nodes would
be running nicely in parallel, with a time offset that depends on the transfer
latency/bandwidth ratio.

What's a few ms (if even that much) extra per node crossing (one or two in the
normal case) for mix down processing and playing from the sequencer? People are
actually *using* Windoze for that kind of work... (*muhahaha...!* Sorry. I
sure know what it feels like. ;-)

...so for the post: