Re: [linux-audio-dev] Fwd: [rtl] Beowulf and RTLinux (and NIC latency)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Fwd: [rtl] Beowulf and RTLinux (and NIC latency)
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: ti syys   28 1999 - 22:13:18 EDT

>The point: I certainly don't see a significant hardware problem with
>real time audio processing on clusters.

The figures cited don't measure the kind of latency that I consider
important in any likely audio system running on Beowulf.

I would be excited about these figures if they were for the *first*
packet after, say, 10ms of no packets at all. If they are, then
whoo-hoo!

>What's a few ms (if even that much) extra per node crossing (one or
>two in the normal case) for mix down processing and playing from the
>sequencer? People ar e actually *using* Windoze for that kind of
>work... (*muhahaha...!* Sorry. I sure know what it feels like. ;-)

well, it depends on whether you're doing production/mixdown, or
real-time performance. most of my interest is in the latter, which is
why, for example, i consider quasimodo to be an instrument rather than
an equivalent to, say, ProTools or Logic.

but sure, if you're mixing down 128 stereo tracks of 32bit/192KHz
audio, a beowulf cluster or three would be mighty handy, and would
work just fine.

--p