Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Plug-in API progress?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Plug-in API progress?
From: Stewart M (stewars_AT_server.uwindsor.ca)
Date: ke syys   29 1999 - 00:25:40 EDT

> >> One application for really needed multitrack recording could be a recording
> >> of a concert or a play. I guess 16 tracks is then quite minimum number
> >> of channels.
> >
> >Indeed. And that's also an application where you *really* need high
> >reliability.
>
> The places that do this kind of thing with *digital* mixers, at least
> for now, are also the kind of places that are going to want to run
> real hardware consoles, and its going to be a while before Linux or

I worked at a place that did this kind of thing with a digital mixer and
the world class digital console was replaced by it's analog brother
shortly after it crashed during a live broadcast. Those things are great
for studio work where the automation and recall features save tons of time
and you can afford the odd reboot. But when you are live to four networks
with an orchestra it can make for a really bad day.

-MArk