Re: [linux-audio-dev] linux audio demonstrability: NOT!

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] linux audio demonstrability: NOT!
From: David Olofson (audiality_AT_swipnet.se)
Date: ke syys   29 1999 - 19:47:07 EDT

On Thu, 30 Sep 1999, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
[...]
> Can you suggest an even vaguely exciting and believable demo of
> anything to do with audio under Linux ? Something that would get a guy
> from a company like Steinberg or Creamware or Digidesign excited ?
>
> Yes, we (and particularly *I*) can talk all day about plugin API
> design, but the simple fact right now is that the emperor has no
> clothes!

...but he sure has a healthy, muscular body these days... :-)

[...lots of examples of half-finished projects and unstable applications...]

> I mean, come on ! Who am I fooling ? Who are we fooling ?

We aren't really fooling anyone, as long as we just say that we have one of the
best foundations around for low latency audio and similar stuff.

But we've sure got a h*ll of a lot of work left to do. That's why I think it's
*very* important to join forces, and try to turn Linux Audio into a real
_community_, rather than a bunch of little projects and applications that
can't even work together in any sensible way. There's still no underlying
multimedia infrastructure, and not even a usable plug-in API! And the most
important point with Open Source is partly failing: Code reuse. How many
plug-ins (or built-in modules) that do the exact same thing, exist out
there...? Ok, some duplication/competition can be good for quality, but most of
these projects aren't even in a state where they can compete in any way.

So, lets get on with this design work, and make damn sure it results in
something that most of us will use and support.

Working in this direction will most likely result in some projects dying or
disappearing into other projects... But how many Linux kernel branches are
there? And how many wants to fork Linux for valid reasons?

//David

 ·A·U·D·I·A·L·I·T·Y· P r o f e s s i o n a l L i n u x A u d i o
    ·Rock Solid David Olofson:
    ·Low Latency www.angelfire.com/or/audiality ·Audio Hacker
    ·Plug-Ins audiality_AT_swipnet.se ·Linux Advocate
    ·Open Source ·Singer/Composer