Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Plug-in API progress?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Plug-in API progress?
From: David Slomin (dgslomin_AT_CS.Princeton.EDU)
Date: ke syys   29 1999 - 22:34:26 EDT

On Wed, 29 Sep 1999, Dan Hollis wrote:

> It is suprisingly easy to crash midi devices by sending bogus commands, or
> even sending them too quickly. I get the feeling that depressingly little
> testing is done on keyboards and devices before they are shipped.

Sending bogus commands I can agree with, but isn't the MIDI standard
rather specific about the data rate? It _is_ a wire-level serial protocol
after all, and it even uses its own custom transfer rate, lest you confuse
it with more common wire-level serial protocols like RS-232. I'd be
appalled if a professional MIDI instrument couldn't handle that rate.

Div.

P.S. Dan, I haven't forgotten about the Alpha benchmark tests I promised,
I just haven't had access to a machine at work that wasn't bogged down
running search engine tests. (Not too fair to run both at once, right?)