Re: [linux-audio-dev] mutex madness

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] mutex madness
From: David Slomin (dgslomin_AT_CS.Princeton.EDU)
Date: ke syys   29 1999 - 22:23:04 EDT

On Wed, 29 Sep 1999 est_AT_hyperreal.org wrote:

> Indeed. pthread mutexes aren't `fair'. If the ui gets 500 events
> behind it's entirely possible it will hog the mutex as it wraps a lock
> around each pop while the dsp is trying to push one event.

I haven't personally tried it, but the description looked interesting when
I saw it on Freshmeat: GNU Pth, a cooperative (non-preemptive) threading
package for Posix.

Since when you yield is your own choice in cooperative threading, could
that possibly be used to avoid the problem? Since the original question
was about keeping a GUI thread at lower priority than a DSP engine thread,
it might be necessary to make a version of the GUI toolkit that
explicitely yields extremely frequently, but the ones in question are open
source, so we can do that, right?

Just musing,
Div.