Re: [linux-audio-dev] mutex madness

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] mutex madness
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: to syys   30 1999 - 10:02:42 EDT

>that possibly be used to avoid the problem? Since the original question
>was about keeping a GUI thread at lower priority than a DSP engine thread,
>it might be necessary to make a version of the GUI toolkit that
>explicitely yields extremely frequently, but the ones in question are open
>source, so we can do that, right?

no.

Linux GUI toolkits all talk to X. They could block indefinitely during
communication with the server, and there is nothing that any thread
package could do about it.

Also, when I think about keeping a GUI thread at a lower priority than
the DSP engine thread, I am thinking about kernel threads with system
scope scheduling, not user level threads with process scope
scheduling. To manage the relative priority of a GUI and a DSP thread
from user space implies switching the GUI and DSP user threads on and
off the same kernel thread(s). If you're using an SMP system, this is
a bad idea.

--p