Re: [linux-audio-dev] mutex madness

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] mutex madness
From: David Slomin (dgslomin_AT_CS.Princeton.EDU)
Date: to syys   30 1999 - 22:14:57 EDT

On Thu, 30 Sep 1999, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:

> Also, when I think about keeping a GUI thread at a lower priority than
> the DSP engine thread, I am thinking about kernel threads with system
> scope scheduling, not user level threads with process scope
> scheduling. To manage the relative priority of a GUI and a DSP thread
> from user space implies switching the GUI and DSP user threads on and
> off the same kernel thread(s). If you're using an SMP system, this is
> a bad idea.

More proof why I should leave such low-level realtime stuff to the
experts. :-) Thanks.

Here's a derivative question... is there such a thing as a realtime OS
that is usable by application developers who don't want to have to think
at such a low level? Conversations about the "evils" of using conditional
code, for example, make me as an application-level developer lose
interest.

Div.