Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: mutex madness

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: mutex madness
From: David Olofson (audiality_AT_swipnet.se)
Date: to syys   30 1999 - 17:01:13 EDT

On Thu, 30 Sep 1999, Eli Brandt wrote:
> I haven't been able to keep up with the plug-in architecture
> discussion, so maybe this has already been brought up. What about
> sending events via lock-free queues?

I suggested that, using the standard RTLinux <-> Linux IPC solutions as an
example.

> One hassle is that they're single-reader/single-writer, which if
> people have been talking about many-to-many communication will be
> annoying (we're using them now for three-to-three -- only
> quadratically annoying). But one-to-many is what I'm imagining.

In an engine running callback plug-ins and a single thread for each sub net,
there's no need for explicit synchronisation at all. Synchronisation is only a
problem between sub nets and between the engine and client applications.

//David

 ·A·U·D·I·A·L·I·T·Y· P r o f e s s i o n a l L i n u x A u d i o
    ·Rock Solid David Olofson:
    ·Low Latency www.angelfire.com/or/audiality ·Audio Hacker
    ·Plug-Ins audiality_AT_swipnet.se ·Linux Advocate
    ·Open Source ·Singer/Composer