Re: [linux-audio-dev] linux audio demonstrability

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] linux audio demonstrability
From: Benjamin GOLINVAUX (golinvaux_AT_benjamin.net)
Date: to syys   30 1999 - 21:09:10 EDT

>The point is, Linux hackers don't want razzle dazzle comprehensive
>programs. They want to learn about computer science. You're better off
>showing the audio software suits market demographics and the fact that
>no competition exists on Linux, instead of how great the ioctl interface
>of some basic system services are.

It will take us at least a good night to collect arguments explaining why
Linux will be a serious OS for audio, as it is a serious OS for number
crunching, for internet servers, slowly becoming a serious OS for 3D,......

There are not only hackers who use linux... I'm not a hacker... I never gave
Linux any interest until I realized it could maybe turn a cheap P133 into a
guitar fx box and multi-track recorder.

Some musically-inclined friends of mine would die to just record some tracks
"in sync" with basic effects, on a safe OS (and possibly process the files
later under Windows)

It it works, they'll use it... BeOS worked for audio, and Steinberg and
others decided to allocate resources for it... That's that simple (altough it
took Be a lot of marketing energy... They have no drivers and no apps...
Linux has some).

Wait till someone releases a single CD with a ___basic___ linux distro with
easy setup (its getting close nowadays) with a bunch of some decent audio
tools... I mean Windows is ok for offline process but, for Bill's sake, don't
use a Windows box during live recording (or worse, performance)...

Benjamin (who's ___not___ a linux hacker).