[linux-audio-dev] multi-track audio files - what format ?

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] multi-track audio files - what format ?
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: to loka   07 1999 - 12:56:50 EDT

OK, so to my disappointment, Michael Pruett's libaudiofile, just like
its SGI counterpart, doesn't support multi-track files. Does anyone
have any advice on file formats that support non-interleaved,
multi-track sound ?

I was going to start hacking up my own C++-ified version of Bill
Schottstaedt's snd library to support multiple tracks as multiple
(interleaved) channels, but the interleaving is clearly a performance
problem. Surely one of the existing major formats allows multiple
tracks ? The comments in SGI's documentation say otherwise ...

--p