Re: [linux-audio-dev] multi-track audio files - what format ?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] multi-track audio files - what format ?
From: Erik de Castro Lopo (erikd_AT_zip.com.au)
Date: to loka   07 1999 - 16:52:16 EDT

Paul Barton-Davis wrote:

> OK, so to my disappointment, Michael Pruett's libaudiofile, just like
> its SGI counterpart, doesn't support multi-track files. Does anyone
> have any advice on file formats that support non-interleaved,
> multi-track sound ?

This is one of my own longer term goals for libsndfile:

    http://www.zip.com.au/~erikd/libsndfile

> I was going to start hacking up my own C++-ified version of Bill
> Schottstaedt's snd library to support multiple tracks as multiple
> (interleaved) channels, but the interleaving is clearly a performance
> problem. Surely one of the existing major formats allows multiple
> tracks ? The comments in SGI's documentation say otherwise ...

Not to my knowledge.

If you can live with a C callable library, maybe we can work on a spec
for a multitrack file which can at some later date be integrated into
libsndfile.

Erik

     Erik de Castro Lopo     erikd_AT_zip.com.au
"We reject kings, presidents, and voting. We believe in rough
consensus and running code."  -- Dave Clark (IETF 1992)