Re: [linux-audio-dev] a new application underway

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] a new application underway
From: David Olofson (audiality_AT_swipnet.se)
Date: to loka   07 1999 - 18:06:45 EDT

On Thu, 07 Oct 1999, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
> To see the latest in my line of programs inspired by "hmm, Creamware
> make nice GUI's but I can write that myself", take a look at this:
>
> http://www.op.net/~pbd/hdr/screen.gif

Looks cool. :-)

> ps. this program is dedicated to a <company elided> employee reported
> to have said "I don't understand these Linux people. Why do they want
> to do for free what I do for <company elided> ?"

Well, here's a simple argument that explains why I prefer hacking "in the
open":

If a few hackers work on the same GPLed project, each one of them will only have
to do part of the work, while the project will benefit from their combined
skills, and they all get a program with full source code.

It's a bit strange that so many people have serious trouble getting their
heads around this simple logic...

> pps. i suddenly saw a bright future this evening with
> Linux/ALSA. Imagine this beautifully modular system: an automated
> mixer like this one that writes Standard MIDI files as its automation
> session record, and can connect to the ALSA sequencer for automation
> playback. To automate a session, you fire up your preferred ALSA
> sequencer-compatible MIDI player, and dump the automation session into
> the sequencer. Presto - the mixer is automated. This is something that
> my studio friends would truly be impressed by. "Free automation ? Who
> are these Linux people ?" No, it probably would not be sample accurate
> (though who knows), but wow, would it be cool.

The same can be done with an engine using a plug-in API with my event system. A
sequencer could be either a plug-in or a client application, and it could
record anything that goes on in the system. (That's the routing functionality
that's one of all things I worry about when trying to design an efficient event
system...) No need for a special automated mixer (although one would be very
nice as a GUI) and *anything* could be automated. And it would be sample
accurate...

//David

 ·A·U·D·I·A·L·I·T·Y· P r o f e s s i o n a l L i n u x A u d i o
    ·Rock Solid David Olofson:
    ·Low Latency www.angelfire.com/or/audiality ·Audio Hacker
    ·Plug-Ins audiality_AT_swipnet.se ·Linux Advocate
    ·Open Source ·Singer/Composer