Re: [linux-audio-dev] a new application underway

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] a new application underway
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: pe loka   08 1999 - 10:37:41 EDT

>> http://www.op.net/~pbd/hdr/screen.gif
>
>Strips are too wide: (1) you can't show many of them in the same screen
>(forget scrolling screens), (2) faders are puried too much for user to
>understand their positions quickly. You could see the design of hardware
>mixers as an example -- forget poor audio software applications if they
>give this bad design ideas.

all understood. in fact, hdr (like the creamware mixer) is entirely
based on hardware mixers.

as I commented, the UI visual elements need work, but since they are
just a set of pixmaps, you don't need to recompile anything to change
how it looks. As soon as I design a set of narrow led pixmaps and
slider pixmaps, each strip will shrink down. I think that the current
limitation on width comes from the insert name display panels, which
are big enough to say "delay" in a 9pt font. i don't think i want
these any smaller.

scrolling screens matter. if i want 64 channels. there is no way to
*ever* fit them on the screen.

>KDE has already this kind of multitrack recorder.

well, thats an area i stay away from. the whole Qt thing just leaves a
bizarre taste in my mouth, and the idea that every application is part
of this "big thing" leaves an even funnier taste. note that this is
not even a GNOME application, just a Gtk-- one.

what is is called ? just so i can take a look :)

--p