Re: [linux-audio-dev] multi-track audio files - what format ?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] multi-track audio files - what format ?
From: Juhana Sadeharju (kouhia_AT_nic.funet.fi)
Date: pe loka   08 1999 - 10:30:01 EDT

>From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?J=F6rn?= Nettingsmeier
> <nettings_AT_folkwang.uni-essen.de>
>
>one file, many tracks interleaved:
> + easy streaming

Only if playing the final product.

> + easier to organize and backup than multiple files

Not for large projects.

> + probably easier to implement (my guess)

Because edits and so on are impossible, the 100 lines code for playing
is easy to write.

Non-descructive takes turns this scheme to multiple files scheme
pretty quickly. If a track has only few sounds during the whole song,
you have plenty of silency on the disk.

Playing one track from multitrack interleaved file causes all tracks to
be read.

> - changing track offsets means rewriting the entire file

Changing anything...

>one file per track:
> + easy offsetting, just add zeros at the beginning

It is not done by adding zeros... but with playlist/editlist/edit decision
list.

> + easy to move parts around
> + tracks can be spread over different disks, thus speeding up disk
> i/o.
[ ... ]
>it seems that the first way is more elegant to read from/write to in
>real time, while the latter is nicer for editing purposes.

Sure playing tracks from different disks makes the latter better suited to
real-time.

(Naturally, stereo recordings from A/D or multitrack files need not be
splitted to individual track files.)

Yours,

Juhana