[linux-audio-dev] low-latency patches getting into kernel 2.4 , seems official !

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] low-latency patches getting into kernel 2.4 , seems official !
From: Benno Senoner (sbenno_AT_gardena.net)
Date: pe loka   08 1999 - 14:17:00 EDT

Hello folks, good news:

today I sent the following mail to Ingo Molnar: ( look at the reply at the
bottom)

After I set up my low-latency page, there was a lot of interest in this topic,
I monitored the logs and the page gets about 100-300 hits per day , and
analyzing the logs, many request seems to come from multimedia-interested
companies. (set top boxes, DSP) , or linux-interested companies like
intel,ibm,hp , philips research labs etc etc.
The patch was downloaded about 300 times, which is sign
of lot of interest in this topic.
I received several mails from people about their happynes about
the latest scheduler developments.
One researcher at a german university told me he will even use his linux alpha
box for doing highperf DSP stuff instead of dedicated hardware !

Actually many people asked me about when/if the low-latency features will get
folded into the kernel.

Maybe it would be very nice if one of you could give us some offcial statement
when/if the patches get included in the next release of the kernel or not.
I'm aware of the 2.3.18 feature freeze by Linus, does this mean that there is
no chance to get the low-latency features into 2.4 ?
Does someone know how Linus stands to this ?

Many people are expecting the next linux kernel to be able to deal
with todays multimedia tasks on the desktop.
Especially Corel with their distro is pushing linux on desktop quite a bit.
I think Ingo's work is one of the keys which will enable highperf multimedia
on the Linux box, and if we have to wait for linux 2.6, we will miss a lot
of possibilities. (highperf multimedia software/hardware manufacturers are
already closely monitoring Linux, and with the patches Linux actually performs
much better than Win/Mac, and can deliver even comparable realtime performance
to BeOS.
And Yodaiken benchmarked the low-latency kernel and found no slowdown
compared to a stock kernel, as Ingo already claimed.

 If you can make some offcial statement, please post it to linux-kernel
and CC me so that I can forward it to various webpages and mailinglist.

Ingos reply:
----------
On Fri, 08 Oct 1999, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> dont worry, i'll integrate the patch into 2.3. It's not a problem.
>
> Ingo

-----------

Folks, seems that high performance multimedia will be available to EVERY
Linuxer with the release of kernel 2.4 in a couple of months.

Combine this with the release of easy-to-use desktop Linux-distros,
like Corel Linux etc. , and you get the most powerful free multimedia platform.

Isn't that exciting ?

For next year , I foresee very very much trouble for other desktop/multimedia
OSes.
:-)

regards,
Benno.