Re: [linux-audio-dev] a new application underway

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] a new application underway
From: Thomas Hudson (thudson_AT_cygnus.com)
Date: pe loka   08 1999 - 11:46:39 EDT

David Slomin wrote:

> On NetMIDI, the object is not a port, but rather the "cable", which is
> either a socket connection or a pipe. You still have the same open,
> close, read, and write methods, but to create a pipe or a socket
> connection is a trivial operation, which requires no driver-level
> programming; it can even be done via shell scripts. An added benefit is
> that there are a practically unlimited number of "cables" that you can
> have open at once, which is not something that is guaranteed in either MME
> or libmd.

Yes, initially I thought I could do this w/ a user space client talking to
ALSA, interfacing w/ the legacy app thru a pipe, since the pipe would appear
as a device file to the app. Unfortunately, most of the apps I'm interested
in both read and write to the raw midi interface.

> If this happier view of the world is impractical to add to ALSA at this
> point, we could write an ALSA midi port driver (once, so we'll not have to
> deal with the pain of driver programming again) similar to the "MIDI Thru"
> drivers available for Windows MME. These screwy drivers act like fifos
> which other MIDI apps (not drivers) can access the way I described for
> NetMIDI. Once you had this, you wouldn't write your softsynth as a
> driver, but as a regular app that listened on the Thru driver's port. The
> drawback here is that you have a strictly limited number of Thru "cables".

Seems like a ALSA kernel client could do this.

Thomas