Re: [linux-audio-dev] a new application underway

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] a new application underway
From: David Olofson (audiality_AT_swipnet.se)
Date: pe loka   08 1999 - 21:26:49 EDT

On Fri, 08 Oct 1999, David Slomin wrote:
> If this happier view of the world is impractical to add to ALSA at this
> point, we could write an ALSA midi port driver (once, so we'll not have to
> deal with the pain of driver programming again) similar to the "MIDI Thru"
> drivers available for Windows MME. These screwy drivers act like fifos
> which other MIDI apps (not drivers) can access the way I described for
> NetMIDI. Once you had this, you wouldn't write your softsynth as a
> driver, but as a regular app that listened on the Thru driver's port. The
> drawback here is that you have a strictly limited number of Thru "cables".

Here I come again! *hehe*

*THIS* is about what I want to do with the event system of the plug-in API.
Plug-ins as well as clients (applications) would use the same low level protocol
for the event handling. The "central engine" in the most basic form, would
just handle the event and stream connections, and not host plug-ins. That part
should be in the kernel, obviously, as that makes better real time performance
and less expensive IPC possible.

The whole point is using the *same* API parts everywhere. That makes it easier
to move code around, and it eliminates expensive translation between
incompatible protocols.

//David

 ·A·U·D·I·A·L·I·T·Y· P r o f e s s i o n a l L i n u x A u d i o
    ·Rock Solid David Olofson:
    ·Low Latency www.angelfire.com/or/audiality ·Audio Hacker
    ·Plug-Ins audiality_AT_swipnet.se ·Linux Advocate
    ·Open Source ·Singer/Composer