Re: [linux-audio-dev] multi-track audio files - what format ?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] multi-track audio files - what format ?
From: David Olofson (audiality_AT_swipnet.se)
Date: pe loka   08 1999 - 20:36:24 EDT

On Fri, 08 Oct 1999, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
> one file per track:
> + easy offsetting, just add zeros at the beginning
> + easy to move parts around
> + tracks can be spread over different disks, thus speeding up disk
> i/o.
> - tracks will be read at differrent speeds depending on disk
> geometry and other fs related things, so i'd expect this needs
> larger buffers than interleaved files, thus greater latency.
> (does that make sense ?)

It does to some extent; N files means N head seeks/set of read buffers. That
is, you have to use bigger buffers (ie read more from each file at a time) to
keep seek overhead low.

However, you can *not* assume that the buffer size becomes irrelevant with a
single file. There is a low limit that depends on the file system, the drive
and other things. I'd guess you need some 3-6 tracks or so before the
difference justifies using bigger buffers than you'll need for reliability
anyway.

> it seems that the first way is more elegant to read from/write to in
> real time, while the latter is nicer for editing purposes.

That's about it, I guess. There's no such thing as a perfect solution...

//David

 ·A·U·D·I·A·L·I·T·Y· P r o f e s s i o n a l L i n u x A u d i o
    ·Rock Solid David Olofson:
    ·Low Latency www.angelfire.com/or/audiality ·Audio Hacker
    ·Plug-Ins audiality_AT_swipnet.se ·Linux Advocate
    ·Open Source ·Singer/Composer