[linux-audio-dev] non-destructive editing

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] non-destructive editing
From: Benjamin GOLINVAUX (golinvaux_AT_benjamin.net)
Date: la loka   09 1999 - 03:56:27 EDT

Hi,

I want to implement a non-destructive editing app (basic operations : cut,
copy, paste, process) and
I thought of keeping consecutive editing chunks in different files, in order
to be able to undo any number
of actions. Then, I read that Fairlight MFX3, which is a rather old (1994)
machine, uses chunks of 128K inside a _single_ file...

Furthermore, I would like to be able to MOVE parts of one sound to another,
possibly on another track,
which makes the non-destructive stuff complex (I certainly don't wanna
duplicate data until necessary).

What's your opinion on the tradeoffs and advantages of both methods ? I don't
wanna start with something I could regret later...

Thanks.

Benjamin-
(linuxalsaingospatchrulez)