Re: [linux-audio-dev] multi-track audio files - what format ?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] multi-track audio files - what format ?
From: Erik de Castro Lopo (erikd_AT_zip.com.au)
Date: pe loka   08 1999 - 23:01:45 EDT

Paul Barton-Davis wrote:

<snip>

> Precisely. Or as a variant, one track is re-recorded, while leaving
> all others untouched (and played back to the performer).
>
> Remember: we're not talking about editing here - thats an entirely
> different process. This is multitrack *recording*.
>
> I think that Juhana has convinced me that separate files are the way
> to go. I think that perhaps even multiple channels in any one file
> might be a mistake too.

I have a little knowledge of one very high-end disk recorder the
Fairlight MFX3+. This is a machine which is capable of simulataneous
24 track playback and record. All editing is non-destructive until
it is "committed".

It keeps all tracks (currently up to 24) and edit list information in
one file. The file has a header followed by chunks of single track
audio. These chunks are of the order of 128k and are read off disk into
the playback hardware in the same 128k chunks.

I anyone is interested in this kind of disk recorder performance they
should look at how the Fairlight does it as they had this capability
in 1994 when disks and processors were a lot slower.

Erik

     Erik de Castro Lopo     erikd_AT_zip.com.au
"Two hands working can do more than a thousand clasped in prayer."
-- anonymous