Re: [linux-audio-dev] MIDI routing, FIFO's etc.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] MIDI routing, FIFO's etc.
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: la loka   09 1999 - 12:16:56 EDT

>One specific app I had in mind was KeyKit. While it does allow you to
>specify a device file, it expects to be able to read and write from
>this single device. Unless linux pipes are different from standard
>unix ones, they can only be opened for read or write. It would be
>nice if apps let you specify a different device file for input and
>output, but the last time I looked at the KeyKit sources (it's been
>a while), it would require some work to do this.

You general point is well taken - pipes are not the same as a file.

OTOH, If you want my patches to fix KeyKit to use different devices
for input and output, let me know. I did them a year and half back
precisely to support the use of FIFO's. I can't remember if I ever
sent them to Tim, but I should.

--p