Re: [linux-audio-dev] non-destructive editing

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] non-destructive editing
From: Benjamin GOLINVAUX (golinvaux_AT_benjamin.net)
Date: la loka   09 1999 - 16:17:28 EDT

>There are many possible variants on this theme, but I think separate files
is
>the way to go in this case. The seek overhead reduction that a single,
>interleaved file design means, would have the exact opposite effect as soon
>as you move something more than that a delay in the mixer could handle it.

Thanks... I won't hesitate any longer.

The little complexity (unrelated to single file/multiple file choice) is the
buffering
modification when number of tracks/average file swith per minute increases...

I'd like to provide users with a benchmarking system in order to tune the app
first... but building a robust and elegant auto-tuning system is not an easy
task...

>BTW, does anyone know of a fs that allows removing blocks in the middle of
>files? (It's possible to do, but I'm not sure I would want to see the
>resulting mess... :-)

That must be the kind of fs Fairlight uses...

BTW, I know they were running OS/9 or something like that which seems to be
some kind of UNIX-like OS... Can someone provide details on it just for the
fun ?
(there might be some kind of Ingo's patch for Fairlight OS that must have
been
devised back in the eighties ;-)

Benjamin-