Re: [linux-audio-dev] non-destructive editing

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] non-destructive editing
From: Erik de Castro Lopo (erikd_AT_zip.com.au)
Date: la loka   09 1999 - 16:54:40 EDT

Benjamin GOLINVAUX wrote:

<snip>

> >BTW, does anyone know of a fs that allows removing blocks in the middle of
> >files? (It's possible to do, but I'm not sure I would want to see the
> >resulting mess... :-)
>
> That must be the kind of fs Fairlight uses...

No the Fairlight uses the standard OS-9 fs. All edits are
non-destructive. If
you record new audio over a section of an existing track it does not
destroy
the old track. On playback it just seeks between the required sections.

http://www.microware.com/

> (there might be some kind of Ingo's patch for Fairlight OS that must have
> been devised back in the eighties ;-)

No, OS-9 runs on the part of the machine that does the graphics and
disk handling. The hard real-time part runs on a very small proprietary
RTOS written in 68k assembler.

Erik

     Erik de Castro Lopo     erikd_AT_zip.com.au
Linux: Because rebooting is for adding new hardware