Re: [linux-audio-dev] non-destructive editing

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] non-destructive editing
From: Benno Senoner (sbenno_AT_gardena.net)
Date: la loka   09 1999 - 19:28:35 EDT

On Sat, 09 Oct 1999, Benjamin GOLINVAUX wrote:

> Thanks... I won't hesitate any longer.
>
> The little complexity (unrelated to single file/multiple file choice) is the
> buffering
> modification when number of tracks/average file swith per minute increases...
>
> I'd like to provide users with a benchmarking system in order to tune the app
> first... but building a robust and elegant auto-tuning system is not an easy
> task...

yea, I played with this sort of benchmarking, but the main problem is
when the user uses the disk for audio AND for the regular files.
There is no guarantee that the kernel will deliver the requested disk
bandwidth to your hd recorder.
Of course for serious work you need a dedicated disk for audio,
but joe average users still want to do some hd recording (with lower number of
tracks) but in a reliable fashion. (windoze can't do there guarantees too)
Hopefully someday there will be available a guaranteed gandwidth filesystem
for Linux.
Just for curiousity: does have BeOS such a feature ?

> >BTW, does anyone know of a fs that allows removing blocks in the middle of
> >files? (It's possible to do, but I'm not sure I would want to see the
> >resulting mess... :-)
>
> That must be the kind of fs Fairlight uses...
>
> BTW, I know they were running OS/9 or something like that which seems to be
> some kind of UNIX-like OS... Can someone provide details on it just for the
> fun ?
> (there might be some kind of Ingo's patch for Fairlight OS that must have
> been
> devised back in the eighties ;-)

If you run a dedicated DAW OS there are no such problems like on general purpose
OSes like an user which runs x11perf , bonnie and the RC5 cracker while
playing back your multitracked song.
:-)
Therefore it's much easier to solve.

regards,